Monday, June 23, 2008

"Free Bird"

"If I leave here tomorrow Would you still remember me? For I must be travelling on, now,cause theres too many places Ive got to see.But, if I stayed here with you, girl,Things just couldn't be the same.cause I'm as free as a bird now,And this bird you can not change.Lord knows, I cant change."

"Free Bird" By Lynyrd Skynyrd.

One of my all time favorite songs and what I named our fifth wheel that Jeanette and I just recently purchased. It has been a dream of mine for a long time now to travel around the country in an RV when I retire. It's something Jeanette and I have discussed from time to time while just sitting around dreaming together. Wouldn't it be nice to just get away from it all and go see the U.S. of A.
It's amazing how cancer can totally change your outlook on life. Things that once bothered you are no longer an issue. Dreams of things you have always wanted to do but for some reason always took a back seat, now seem attainable.

While I was waiting to find out where I would go to cure my cancer, that dream of owning an RV became more of a reality. Jeanette and I went to the local RV show and checked out all the new RVs. We looked at motor homes, trailers, toy haulers, and fifth wheels and spoke to Lot's of RV salesmen, chomping at the bit to sell us an RV. We came home with a bag full of brochures and I spent my free time looking over every one of them like a kid with a toy catalog before Christmas.

Jeanette and I decided, "What the heck." You only live once so you might as well enjoy it while you're here. So we purchased our first RV! A 31' Heartland "Big Country" fifth wheel. What accelerated this decision to buy an RV was the fact I had cancer and the treatment to cure my cancer takes at least two months to complete. Not only would the RV provide me a place to live while undergoing cancer treatments, but it would also provide us a way to get away from it all and live our dream.

I was thinking of a name for our new RV. Something that had meaning. I thought, this vessel would take me to wherever I needed to cure my cancer, whether it be Houston, Texas, Jacksonville, Florida, or Loma Linda, California. Wherever I would end up going, it would be to cure my cancer and to be cancer free. I thought, how about Freedom Bird? No, better yet, "Free Bird." It fits perfectly! I love the song, and the lyrics say it all. Free Bird it is!


So let me introduce you to "Free Bird."






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice rig, where's the Jeep supposed to fit though ?