Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ants Everywhere!


June 25, 2008

I just completed my third treatment and now I'm sitting here in my recliner drinking a Dos Equis while watching HGTV in Mute, and listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn singing the Blues, with my fake fire place on. Just relaxing after a tough day of battling cancer and ANTS! Yes ANTS!

It seems I parked my RV on a colony of ants and they decided to check out my RV last night. I came home from the weekly potluck and I kept seeing ants. The more I looked the more I saw. They were everywhere! So I went outside and did some investigating to see where these critters were coming from. I found out they were hitching a ride on my rear support legs. During my hunt I also found out I had Black Widow spiders camped out back behind the trailer. GEEEZ! I guess when you're camping in austere conditions like I am, these things tend to happen.

So I got on the Internet and typed in "Ants in RVs." Gosh the net is great! I found several articles on the subject with a multitude of ways to get rid of them and prevent them from coming in. So this morning, armed with all this knowledge I began my battle of the ants at the local Wal-Mart. Like a soldier on a mission I armed myself with all the latest high tech weapons and returned to the RV.

Free Bird I'm coming to save you!

I took out my secret weapons, which consisted of Comet (with bleach), Vaseline (Yes Vaseline), bug spray, and ant traps. I sprinkled Comet around any area the ants could hitch a ride on. The ants supposedly will not cross the Comet. Then I put a coat of Vaseline on my electrical cords, water hoses, and cable connection. The ants will not cross the Vaseline either.

So now that I had the outside perimeter secured, it was time to contain the ants that were inside. I placed the traps in strategic areas throughout the RV and watched as the little critters took the bait.

Lastly, I sprayed all the crevices around the pop-outs and vents to prevent any remaining ants on the outside of the RV from entering.

I think my neighbors either thought I was crazy or I was performing some satanic ritual. I should have saved the chicken bones from dinner the other night and placed them inside the circles of comet. Ha!Ha!

Did it work? Well I haven't seen any ants so far.

That was my excitement for the day.

Here's some pics from the Battle Cam.




3 comments:

Jeep Girl said...

:-) to you too.

I'm itching as I read this. I hate ants!

d

Unknown said...

I wish you the best of luck Mike... I'll be checking your blog daily.

Joe West
AZVJC

k7mto said...

Mike,

It's been a while since we've seen each other or wheeled together, but I just read your blog from start to finish and it really woke me up. You know we are the same age, and I've recently had the typical prostate type symptoms guys our age experience. My doctor sent me to a Urologist but I suppose my PSA is in the normal range. He just had me lay off the caffeine.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, buddy. If anyone can crawl over this boulder, it's you. Just keep hold your line and set your throttle.

btw, if you haven't noticed, I've been playing music again (my life's passion) and while I swore I'd never play "Free Bird" again, I will have my band play it for you when you come back home cancer free.

Be well, my friend.