Friday, August 22, 2008

Week Nine (The Final Countdown)

It's Friday evening and I'm sitting here in Freebird waiting to drive to the airport and pick up Jeanette so she can ride shotgun with me during my ride back home.

Earlier this morning at 0730 hrs, I received my final treatment. Hooray! No more balloons and hopefully no more Cancer! In four months I will get my first PSA after my treatment and I will see if the protons did their job. I am very confident they did and I will be Cancer Free.

My last treatment was not supposed to be until Monday the 25th of August but I requested to have a double treatment on Thursday so I wouldn't have to spend the weekend here. So I had one in the morning and one at night on Thursday, and the final one this morning. A few hours after my treatment I really felt tired all of the sudden and had a bit of diarrhea. I'm sure it had something to do with receiving three treatments in a 24 hour period.

This week has been filled with lots of activity as I prepared for my last day here at Loma Linda.

Tuesday Potluck

I did not go to all the Tuesday Night potlucks while I was here mainly because of the huge age difference. I just kind of felt out of place if you know what I mean. I kind of felt like I was a Rock Star on the Lawrence Whelk Show. Don't get me wrong, all the people here are great and very nice. And yes I know, one day I will be their age, just not right now.

Let me go back in time during my first week here when I was at the patient orientation. Many of the special benefits given to the patients are geared to the Senior Citizens. Special Senior discount cards, along with Seniors Only parking passes are given to all patients.

Since us young guys don't get anything special except for that special balloon everyday, I decided that I wanted to start a tradition here at Loma Linda and give something to the youngest guy in the group so he would not feel left out.

So I set out on my quest for the perfect gift and ended up at the local Babies R Us store. At first I had in mind to get something with balloons on it as a joke but I could not find anything with balloons. As I continued my search I saw a bright light coming from the very far side of the store. I followed the light and it was like I had found the Holy Grail. I had found the perfect gift! A child's training potty! This potty had a cushion seat for a "Comfy Tushy" as it said on the box. It also claimed to be the "Softest Seat In The House." This potty could also be used as a stepping stool when not in use. I just started cracking up when I read the box and thought this was the perfect gift for the Young Guy.

I then went to the bib section and picked up the perfect bib. On the front it read, "Chicks Dig Me." I was thinking this is going to be great! So I purchased both items and took them home, Oh, and I also picked up a bag of balloons while I was there. The cashier asked me if the gifts were for a Baby Shower. I smiled and told her, "Well kind of."

I then wrote a set of instructions for the "Keeper Of The Throne"

Instructions For The Keeper Of The Throne


1. You are the youngest in the group, therefore you must be the Keeper Of The Throne and carry this with you to the Wednesday night support group meetings. (You may also carry it with you to the Tuesday Pot Lucks. That’s totally up to you, but the bib could be the key to a fun filled evening with the older folks. )

2. The throne must be displayed in the center of the table you are seated at with the bib draped over the front (You may wear it if you wish). This will let everybody know that you are the youngest of the group. Not only is this a symbol of your Youth and Virility, it will also let everybody know you have the softest seat in the house, and all the chicks will dig you.

3. The throne must not be used under any circumstances! Even if you think you can’t hold it any longer during one of the Loma Linda history presentations, or Dr. Martell’s long winded speeches. (A used potty on the table while eating those special sandwiches would be really gross, unless of course you like sitting at a table by yourself, then go right ahead!)

4. You may carry the throne with you during your treatments if you wish. You can use it as a stool to help you get into your pod. However, if you do be prepared for some long stares and humiliation from the staff. (Remember to always heed the warning on top of the throne if using it as a stool. Safety 1st.)

5. The enclosed balloons are for your enjoyment and you can use them any way you wish. You can use them to make funny noises if you get bored, or as a tool to overcome your fear of balloons before you graduate. You could also use them to add to the festive atmosphere during one of the Tuesday Night Potluck Ukulele concerts. (Always remember Safety 1st when using balloons.)

6. You may add something to the throne if you wish, such as a joke, funny card, etc., just keep it humorous and in good taste and share it with the group.

7. Your other duty while you are the Keeper of the Throne is to seek out the youngest man in the group so you can pass the throne to him. Passing of the throne must be done either during the potluck or the Wednesday night support group meeting. The instructions will be read to the new Keeper of the Throne just like I did to you. This also would be a good time to share with the group a joke or what ever you added to the throne as stated in Step# 6.

8. Prior to passing the throne, please sign it with your name, age, and dates of treatment.

Please keep the tradition going and keep passing it to the youngest man in the group. Wouldn’t it be fun to see it sitting in the center of a table after returning as an Alumni two or three years from now. This is just another way to keep humor and laughter within our group. Because without the humor and comradery we experience here at Loma Linda, this would just be another scheduled cancer treatment.


Keep Smiling!


With my special gift and instructions in hand I headed out to the last Pot Luck during my stay at Loma Linda. After dinner I got up in front of the group and sought out the youngest man there. It was a close race between a 55 year old whose name I forgot, and my friend Paul from Phoenix who was 54. I presented the gifts to him and read the instructions. We all had a big laugh and it went over very well with the whole group. There's nothing like starting a new tradition!







Wednesday Night Graduation

Wednesday Night was graduation night for several of us. We all made our speeches including myself. And yes, Paul brought along the throne and placed in the center of the table for everybody to see.

It was a night filled with laughter and a few tears as the graduates made their speeches. We all were happy that we were just about done with our treatments but at the same time kind of sad that we were leaving friends that we all had made during our journey here to fight cancer. It was kind of a bittersweet feeling to the whole thing.





Final Treatment

I woke up Friday morning with a feeling of jubilance that this was going to be my last treatment. No more balloons, no more weekly doctor visits! Jeanette was flying in later that night and we would be heading home the next morning.

I went in for my final treatment and stared at the ceiling for the last time. The ceiling that had family photos and words of encouragement from current and former patients. Almost like a shrine. A few days prior I gave the HBL crew a photo of me in my Jeep, climbing a waterfall on a trail named, "Highway to Hell." I signed the photo and wrote a thanks to them for helping me over my obstacle on the "Trail of Life", and they had placed my photo on the ceiling. As the proton beam zapped me for the last time, I looked up at that photo and visualized myself climbing over the obstacle in my Jeep and everybody was cheering me on that I had made it up and over the obstacle and the end of the trail was finally in sight.

After it was all over and the final balloon extraction was completed, I thanked the crew for being so kind to me and professional at the same time. They wrote,"Done" on the inside of my pod and I had them add "Well" for "Well Done." Not for a Job Well Done but Well Done as far as being cooked. They all laughed as I walked down the hall in my hospital gown with my bare butt exposed for the last time.

Later that night I picked up Jeanette from the airport and we spent most of the night preparing Free Bird for it's journey back home. It was also a bittersweet time for Jeanette. She was happy I was finally coming home but at the same time she was going to miss the mini vacations she had while visiting me.

The Final Balloon








Saturday Morning

Saturday Morning and it was time to go home. We took our time getting up and went to the neighborhood Starbucks for coffee and breakfast. We then headed back to the park and hooked up the trailer and headed home.

I put my lynard Skynard CD in and headed east. It was a quiet ride heading out of the San Bernardino area as Jeanette fell asleep and I reminisced about the whole experience. The friends I had made, the sights I had seen, the many E-Mails and calls I received from friends and family, the tears and the laughter. The whole experience seemed like it all went by so fast and now I was going home with confidence that I would be cancer free.

By the time I was getting into the Palm Springs area the song, "Free Bird" started to play. I cranked the stereo up and woke Jeanette up as I sang along. My journey was coming to an end and I was finally "Free as a Bird!"


Final Thoughts

I've been home for two weeks now and just returned to work last week. I often think back on my Journey to being cancer free. I feel blessed that I was able to receive the proton treatment at Loma Linda for my cancer. I feel great and have full bodily functions.

I also feel blessed for having such a wonderful wife, who pushed me to get a physical exam that saved my life, and who stood by me through the whole ordeal. Like they say, Prostate Cancer is a couple's disease.

I'm also blessed for the family I have especially my Mother and Father who are both cancer survivors. They both were my inspiration throughout my battle with cancer.

Last but not least I feel blessed for all my friends and co-workers who gave me the support and frequently checked in on me either by phone or E-Mail. It really made a difference. I can't thank you all enough!

Well,I think that's about it for now!

The End!







The End!







The End!

No comments: